Monday 17 November 2014

Sada Narkel Naru

These sweets are made with coconut, sugar and then combined with condensed milk. In lokhi puja offering narkel nadu to Goddess Lakshmi is a ritual and in doshomi, the tenth day of durga puja narkel narus are offered along with ghugni to welcome guests.


Ingredients(15 servings):
  1. Grated coconut, 1 cup
  2. Icing Sugar, 1/2 cup
  3. Condensed milk, 4 tbsp
  4. Korpur(camphor powder), 1/2 pinch, just for adding the odour to naru, but it's optional.
  5. Ghee, 2 tsp
  6. And last but not least, make sure you wear handgloves to protect your hands from burning. Just read the recipe and you will understand why I am saying this.
Methods:


1. Grate coconnut and powder sugar.
2. In a pan heat 2 tsp ghee, add coconut, sugar, camphor powder and mix well
3. Combine condensed milk and dry up the mixture a little. When the mixture is ready it will turn slightly brown and sticky.
4. Turn off the flame, but do not remove from the pan in which you cooked the coconut mixture, as it can not be combined to make balls when the mixture cools down, It tends to seperate. So you would have to warm it up often in the middle.
I think now you have got why  I told you to use handgloves.
5. Now make small balls out of the mixture and it's done.
6.Cool them and serve.

P.S.- Though I recommended to use handgloves but since my childhood I have seen my elders making them with bare hands. Even I follow a trick to do the same, still it leaves some red patches on my palm. So plz you do not try to make them in bare hands. Cooking is fun, but that does not mean you have to burn your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment